Friday, January 21, 2011

January 21: Daily Readings & Quote

St. Agnes

Christ has made my soul beautiful with the jewels of grace and virtue. I belong to Him whom the angels serve.

-St. Agnes 




Today's readings are:
Exodus 3-4
Mark 8:27-9:1


1
1 Meanwhile Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. Leading the flock across the desert, he came to Horeb, the mountain of God.
2
2 There an angel of the LORD appeared to him in fire flaming out of a bush. As he looked on, he was surprised to see that the bush, though on fire, was not consumed.
3
So Moses decided, "I must go over to look at this remarkable sight, and see why the bush is not burned."
4
When the LORD saw him coming over to look at it more closely, God called out to him from the bush, "Moses! Moses!" He answered, "Here I am."
5
God said, "Come no nearer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.
6
3 I am the God of your father," he continued, "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob." Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.
7
But the LORD said, "I have witnessed the affliction of my people in Egypt and have heard their cry of complaint against their slave drivers, so I know well what they are suffering.
8
4 Therefore I have come down to rescue them from the hands of the Egyptians and lead them out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey, the country of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites.
9
So indeed the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have truly noted that the Egyptians are oppressing them.
10
Come, now! I will send you to Pharaoh to lead my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt."
11
5 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and lead the Israelites out of Egypt?"
12
He answered, "I will be with you; and this shall be your proof that it is I who have sent you: when you bring my people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this very mountain."
13
"But," said Moses to God, "when I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' if they ask me, 'What is his name?' what am I to tell them?"
14
6 God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you."
15
God spoke further to Moses, "Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. "This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations.
16
7 "Go and assemble the elders of the Israelites, and tell them: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, has appeared to me and said: I am concerned about you and about the way you are being treated in Egypt;
17
so I have decided to lead you up out of the misery of Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, a land flowing with milk and honey.
18
"Thus they will heed your message. Then you and the elders of Israel shall go to the king of Egypt and say to him: The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent us word. Permit us, then, to go a three days' journey in the desert, that we may offer sacrifice to the LORD, our God.
19
"Yet I know that the king of Egypt will not allow you to go unless he is forced.
20
I will stretch out my hand, therefore, and smite Egypt by doing all kinds of wondrous deeds there. After that he will send you away.
21
I will even make the Egyptians so well-disposed toward this people that, when you leave, you will not go empty-handed.
22
8 Every woman shall ask her neighbor and her house guest for silver and gold articles and for clothing to put on your sons and daughters. Thus you will despoil the Egyptians."
1
"But," objected Moses, "suppose they will not believe me, nor listen to my plea? For they may say, 'The LORD did not appear to you.'"
2
The LORD therefore asked him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he answered.
3
The LORD then said, "Throw it on the ground." When he threw it on the ground it was changed into a serpent, and Moses shied away from it.
4
"Now, put out your hand," the LORD said to him, "and take hold of its tail." So he put out his hand and laid hold of it, and it became a staff in his hand.
5
"This will take place so that they may believe," he continued, "that the LORD, the God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, did appear to you."
6
Again the LORD said to him, "Put your hand in your bosom." He put it in his bosom, and when he withdrew it, to his surprise his hand was leprous, like snow.
7
The LORD then said, "Now, put your hand back in your bosom." Moses put his hand back in his bosom, and when he withdrew it, to his surprise it was again like the rest of his body.
8
"If they will not believe you, nor heed the message of the first sign, they should believe the message of the second.
9
And if they will not believe even these two signs, nor heed your plea, take some water from the river and pour it on the dry land. The water you take from the river will become blood on the dry land."
10
Moses, however, said to the LORD, "If you please, LORD, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past, nor recently, nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue."
11
The LORD said to him, "Who gives one man speech and makes another deaf and dumb? Or who gives sight to one and makes another blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
12
Go, then! It is I who will assist you in speaking and will teach you what you are to say."
13
1 Yet he insisted, "If you please, Lord, send someone else!"
14
Then the LORD became angry with Moses and said, "Have you not your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know that he is an eloquent speaker. Besides, he is now on his way to meet you.
15
When he sees you, his heart will be glad. You are to speak to him, then, and put the words in his mouth. I will assist both you and him in speaking and will teach the two of you what you are to do.
16
2 He shall speak to the people for you: he shall be your spokesman, and you shall be as God to him.
17
3 Take this staff in your hand; with it you are to perform the signs."
18
4 After this Moses returned to his father-in-law Jethro and said to him, "Let me go back, please, to my kinsmen in Egypt, to see whether they are still living." Jethro replied, "Go in peace."
19
In Midian the LORD said to Moses, "Go back to Egypt, for all the men who sought your life are dead."
20
So Moses took his wife and his sons, and started back to the land of Egypt, with them riding the ass. The staff of God he carried with him.
21
5 The LORD said to him, "On your return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have put in your power. I will make him obstinate, however, so that he will not let the people go.
22
So you shall say to Pharaoh: Thus says the LORD: Israel is my son, my first-born.
23
Hence I tell you: Let my son go, that he may serve me. If you refuse to let him go, I warn you, I will kill your son, your first-born."
24
6 On the journey, at a place where they spent the night, the Lord came upon Moses and would have killed him.
25
But Zipporah took a piece of flint and cut off her son's foreskin and, touching his person, she said, "You are a spouse of blood to me."
26
Then God let Moses go. At that time she said, "A spouse of blood," in regard to the circumcision.
27
The LORD said to Aaron, "Go into the desert to meet Moses." So he went, and when they met at the mountain of God, Aaron kissed him.
28
Moses informed him of all the LORD had said in sending him, and of the various signs he had enjoined upon him.
29
Then Moses and Aaron went and assembled all the elders of the Israelites.
30
Aaron told them everything the LORD had said to Moses, and he performed the signs before the people.
31
The people believed, and when they heard that the LORD was concerned about them and had seen their affliction, they bowed down in worship.
27
6 Now Jesus and his disciples set out for the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?"
28
They said in reply, "John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets."
29
And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said to him in reply, "You are the Messiah."
30
Then he warned them not to tell anyone about him.
31
He began to teach them that the Son of Man 7 must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days.
32
He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
33
At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."
34
He summoned the crowd with his disciples and said 8 to them, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
35
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel 9 will save it.
36
What profit is there for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?
37
What could one give in exchange for his life?
38
Whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this faithless and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."
1
1 He also said to them, "Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power."

No comments:

Post a Comment